Wednesday, February 8, 2017

My Year Verse For 2017

Father, glorify thy name. Then came there a voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again.     John 12:28

                Each year, while I do not make New Year’s resolutions in the popular sense that has come and gone as a major national exercise (which as TV street interviews with random folk show, many no longer see value in making resolutions or in making disciplined efforts to fulfill them), I continue a practice I began as a teenager. I choose “A Year Verse.” I select a verse that I hope will be a theme, or a growth process, in my life during the year ahead. For 2017 I have chosen the verse quoted above, John 12:28.

                In this passage Jesus says, “Father, glorify thy name.” As a follower of Jesus, I too want God, the Father, to get the glory in and through my life. I want to follow the Lord Jesus’ example in that way.

                When God, the Father, responded in this verse He said, “I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again.” I apply that to my own life joyfully also, as I can look back on my life I am grateful to be able to see that God has glorified Himself through me, and I have the hope that He will glorify Himself through me in the future as well. A hope all Christians have.

No comments: